Thoughtful Gift Ideas That Are Perfect Year-Round
When it comes time to choose a gift for the senior in your life, it is sometimes a difficult decision; what do you buy for the “person that has everything” or the “person that can simply buy what she wants”? There are items that you can give that they may never have even considered and these gifts are perfect for any gift-giving occasion.
- Fruits, breads or sweets. It’s been said that dark chocolate provides many health benefits and if the loved one in your life is able to enjoy chocolate, receiving a gift in the mail on a monthly basis is a perfect sweet treat. There are also companies you can sign up with that will send a “fruit or bread of the month” to your loved one.
- A movie rental subscription. These subscriptions allow you to go online, choose movies which are sent in the mail to your relative. If they don’t go online, make certain you talk with them to help them choose the movies and then send it back when done. In addition to the subscription offer to come over for a dinner and movie night!
- A night out on the town. If your relatives like to go out on the town, provide them with a certificate to dinner and passes to a movie. If they can’t drive themselves, offer your services as chauffer and participant in the evening.
- Book or magazine subscription or a gift of books on tape. If you know that your relative loves to read, this is a perfect gift. If he or she has a hard time reading, a book on tape could be a great way to provide them with the books they love without having to worry about the size of the text.
- If your relative was involved in gardening and can’t get out because of the weather or health constraints, provide them with indoor plants that they can nurture. If they love to spend time in the kitchen, consider adding herbs or even vegetables to the plants you give; if they have an easily accessible outdoor patio area this is an ideal gift.
- Puzzles or other games. If your senior has a lot of time on her hands, gift them with puzzles or brain teasers to keep their mind active. This gift is also one that you can help them with when you’re visiting. Choose large print puzzles, dominoes or even playing cards when looking for ways to keep your relatives entertained and engaged.
One of the best gifts you can give to your relatives, especially if they are unable to drive or get out to socialize and if they live alone, is the gift of time!